Membership in the National Society for the Gifted & Talented™ (NSGT) is open to high ability learners who crave exciting learning opportunities, search for challenging ways to develop talents, and hope to interact with other creative and talented peers.
NSGT invites parents to sponsor their children who are currently in Kindergarten through twelfth grade for membership. Parents can select one of the following ways to confirm their child’s eligibility:
- Identification as gifted or successful participation in a local, school, regional, state, or national gifted program.
- Scores at the 95th percentile or above in at least one major content area or ability section on a nationally-normed standardized test, or scores at the highest performance level on a standardized state test. Click here for a list of accepted national and state tests.
- Scores in the gifted range on the PSAT, SAT, ACT or SSATB.
- Submits two letters of recommendation – one letter from an educator familiar with the student’s academic and performance record, and one letter from a parent describing the child’s talents and abilities.
- School and member directory – The school database contains gifted programs registered with the U.S. Department of Education and our current database, which is updated yearly. The second largest database is our active NSGT member listing, primarily used for member networking. Both are national databases.
- Membership certificate affirming the student as being among the most highly able students in the country.
- Scholarships – Each year NSGT raises scholarship money for its members for projects or programs students wish to attend such as Summer Institute for the Gifted, online programs, science projects, etc.
- Sponsor a student. Parents may sponsor other gifted and talented students who qualify for free or reduced lunch. Also, families and friends of NSGT members are invited to support the society with a charitable contribution.
- There will be a $10 fee reduction for each additional child in the same family.
- Students who are eligible for free or reduced-fee lunch pay a $35 fee.
- There are also a limited number of sponsored memberships available for children receiving free or reduced lunch at their school. Please contact NSGT for details.